Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Echo Cardio

With the chemotherapy treatment I am given, there is about a 4% chance of developing heart problems. So the doctors need to do an echo cardiogram on your heart once every three months, just to make sure your heart is not affected.

Well, I demanded a stress echo cardiogram. Because I am me. And it's all done my way.

Now, scheduling an echo cardiogram is easy - because it's fast. For a stress echo, you have to work up a sweat, gradually. So it takes time. So appointments aren't easy to come by.

So, here I am, one day after my chemo treatment, walking on the treadmill. Then walking faster on the treadmill. Then running. I feel like an elephant. But I run. Stomp, stomp, stomp.

Eventually I call out "stop". "Does your heart hurt?", asks the doctor. The treadmill keeps going, I keep running. "No", I puff, "my legs have gone to jelly". Puff, puff, puff. "Any other pain?", asks the doctor, "chest, arms, anything?". "No". Puff, puff, puff. They slow down the treadmill, get me back on the bed and have a look at my heart with the ultrasound.

"Stop breathing". Yeah right, they must be joking. I'm ready to burst. "Ok, start breathing again." Puff, puff. "Stop breathing". These people are nuts, my heart is going 160 bpms and they want me to stop breathing. "Ok, start breathing again." Eventually we're done. They show me the pictures. All good.

I walk away with one lesson. If you're feeling like crap, try running. Just for a short time. It might make you feel better. I feel great, but it takes me about an hour to recover.

No comments: