Monday, October 25, 2010

Chemo 2

I visit my oncologist before my chemotherapy treatment. He reads out my blood results - all good.

I head down to day oncology and get seated next to the window. Lovely. Except that when the nurse starts to put the needle in my vein I can see her reflection perfectly. I gaze at the ceiling.

As my treatment progresses, a lady comes for her first chemo session. She sits opposite me and giggles to her partner. I, with my husband's hanky around my head, feel like a veteran. I smile like one too.

By the time two hours are up, I'm bored and start making phone calls to friends. Then finally I'm out of there. At home I scoff down a massive lunch. Then nausea puts me to bed.

It's not as bad as last time, but it's still bad. Really bad. My mum sits by my bedside feeding me veggie burgers. She made them herself. They are delicious. They are the only thing I can stomach.

I show up at dinner, and try to make a dent. The food on my plate could fit into a small coffee cup. But I can't get through half of it. Back to bed.

My mum still sits at my bedside. The veggie burgers are all gone now. But we still have conversation. I think that at every chemo session you meet an angel. Last time it was my nurse. This time around it's my mother.

No comments: