Monday, October 4, 2010

Chemo 1

One chemotherapy session done, five more to go.

So, what was it like? How do I feel? And what have I done with my hair?

Well ... it was like this. I was busy all weekend with bullants, dogs and what not, and ran out of time to shave my head. So I turned up to chemo this morning with my full mane, tucked neatly into a pony tail, only to be advised that hair might not fall out after first chemo session - and even if it does it will start doing so in about two weeks. It's like getting an extension on your assignment. Yay.

The day oncology ward has a bunch of recliners in it. They look very similar to business class seats on an aeroplane. They even go up and down. But I don't think they can simulate turbulence. And there is heaps more floor space around you.

You get all the top class nurses that treat you like absolute royalty. There are all sorts of assistants running around serving tea, coffee and biscuits. My treatment arm was covered with a warm blanket, and I was covered with a blanket on top of that. First I was given a capsule (anti-nausea) - then we had to wait an hour to start treatment. For most of that hour my nurse talked to me like she was my favourite grandmother.

Once the needle for my drip was in, the rest of the treatment was painless. One of the drugs I am getting is red - so they have a little discreet pouch covering the bag. Very cute.

All in all the treatment took around 3 hours, and I felt great afterwards. My mother-in-law drove me home, I felt fit as a fiddle, and had some lunch. Then I started writing this blog. And then it hit me. First a bit of nausea - so I went to bed. Then more nausea. I took the anti-nausea tablets they gave me, and they worked ... a little bit. Basically, I was bed ridden for the rest of the day. It was a real effort to eat and drink anything, and the household went into shock that all of a sudden they had to do all my tasks, as well as their own.

In the end though, the household at least seemed to accept the situation and peace was achieved. The nausea continued - now I see why they treat you like royalty - you suffer enough for it later on!

No comments: