Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Finger tips

My finger tips have gone numb. It's yet another taxotere side effect. It didn't just happen now. It happened somewhere around chemo 5. But the side effect is still with me. Charming.

Not only are they numb, but they are very dry as well. And sensitive too.

So far it has cost me one jar, one glass and one dish. Yes, slipped out of my fingers, hit the floor and crash. And all along I could have sworn that I was holding onto it tight.

It also makes typing a little bit difficult. Pressing the keypad on the phone is quite a challenge - mainly due to the sensitivity. One week I use one hand, then it gets too sensitive, and I have to work the phone with the other hand.

Doing up buttons? Now this is a real joke. Because I can't feel what I am doing, I have to be watching. So I cannot do up buttons around my neck without the help of a mirror. And even when I am watching it's a very slow process. Doing up buttons on shirt cuffs is simply impossible - someone else has to help me.

My other finger tip issue is plastic container lids. The sensitivity makes it a real struggle to open plastic lids - as in, it really hurts. So I have to do it slowly, and with patience. And preferably not too many per day.

No comments: