Monday, May 2, 2011

Eating in recovery

I haven't been writing too much recently (last couple of posts excepted). There are a few good reasons for this. Firstly I have returned to work - just two days per week. Two days is plenty! Most of the rest of the time is spent eating, preparing food, and resting. Okay, okay ... I do find time to ride horses. But honestly, I've become a bottomless pit. At least where food is concerned. So when I am not eating, I am busy shopping for, and preparing, the next meal.

A typical day can consist of - two egg omlette for breakfast, two pieces of fish for morning tea, double serve of bolognese sauce (with veggies, no pasta) for lunch, chicken shnitzel (about 250g) and veggies for dinner, salad, and apple crumble for dessert. Add to that three protein shakes, and a magnesium drink, plus a variety of other supplements.

When I only ate fish on Good Friday, I suffered so much from lack of protein, that it took me two days to recover. When we were on holiday in Merimbula, I ate fancy desserts for three days in a row and felt totally sick for two days afterwards.

So what does it mean when I don't feel well? I feel dizzy and nauseaus for starters. I feel confused, and I cannot focus. I feel tired - my muscles are throbbing like they've done a 100km bike ride. Sometimes, I can't sleep, but I don't feel rested. I feel wrung out and anxious instead. I get pins and needles in my arms and hands. And ... the best one of the lot ... I feel irritated. Very, very irritated. Irrationally irritated.

Add a solid serve of protein and veggies for a couple of days (at least) and these symptoms subside. Phew!

No comments: