Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dr Gruba, coffee and the real healing

When I first found out that I had cancer I went to a number of naturopaths to see if I could make the cancer go away, and to make sure that it never returned. Probably the best one of those was Dr Gruba.

Dr Gruba put me on an intensive 12 week detox program, where my diet was basically restricted to meat and veggies. No sugar, no alcohol, no coffee, no tea, no fruit, no juices, no dairy (except for butter), no wheat, and no processed anything.

In general I loved the diet. But every now and then I craved coffee. Absolutely craved it. In those situations, I would sit myself down, and explain to myself that I just cannot have the coffee. So in that case, what else would I like to do with my time? Then, I would see an expanse of time, at least half an hour long, that all of a sudden was mine. It used to belong to the "coffee", but now it belonged to me. Then I would merrily go off and do something I really enjoyed. That ... was the REAL healing.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

excellent self talk. like it.