Sunday, February 6, 2011

Vale Gally


Before we bought Gally, my husband, my coach and I discussed what we wanted from my next horse. Gally fitted the bill perfectly. And so I bought Gally - a present to myself for my birthday. I was in heaven.

As Gally settled in at the farm we discovered that he was playful, cheeky and very very bossy. Very soon he became the boss of the paddock and left marks on backsides of anyone who didn't tow the line. (Mine included - although the mark is now gone.)

Life with Gally wasn't all chocolates and roses, but if I was willing to listen, he was willing to share some deep horsey secrets with me. Initially, I wasn't listening. I had no idea that a horse could teach you things. That mistake had me on the ground five times. Then I started listening, and this is what I learnt:
  • Respect your horse. 
  • Scratch your horse - the more he complains, the harder you should scratch - until he stops complaining. Find all the spots where he enjoys a scratch. You may be very surprised in what you find.
  • Make sure your horse respects you - your space, and your requests.
  • Be firm.
  • Never, ever, get angry.
  • Ride in the sweet spot.
  • Keep your legs still, unless you're using them to ask for something.
  • Keep your hands still, unless you're asking for something.
  • Ride with the horse (don't get behind or in front of the action).
  • Balance.
  • Seperate "play time" from "work time".
  • Use "approach and retreat" when dealing with scary things.
  • Enjoy your horse. If you are doing something that is too hard, or not enjoyable, then simplify it. Go back a step or two. Enjoy.
  • Relax is the reward. Relax. Reward.
  • Reward frequently.
  • Ask for the best. Ask.
  • Follow your intuition.
Most scary moment with Gally - We were warming up for cross country at Wandin, and Gally was spooking at everything - especially other horses. I had already fallen off in the warm up for dressage, and now I was just shaking in my boots.
 
Most bossy moment - Gally - I was standing in the paddock with Gally and Sabina, looking far too goofy. It was winter and I had a hood and beanie on. Gally grabbed at my hood, ripped it off, and sent it flying across the paddock. Sabina started shouting at him that he is naughty and can't do that.
 
Most bossy moment - me - I was lungeing Gally and he stopped and refused to keep going. I cracked the whip, and he faced it, defiant. I came a step closer and I cracked it again, and again, and again. Finally he trotted off in the required direction.

Funniest moment - There were three buckets lying in the paddock. Gally picked up each bucket in turn to show me that they were empty. Gally loved his food.

Best ride - The last ride, when we went into the state forest and I was all relaxed, and we used approach and retreat to ride past the dam.

Other moments of note - Letting my friend Chris ride Gally into the state forest.

There are many other memories that will always bring a smile to my face. In some ways Gally and I were like peas in a pod. I thank him for all the things he taught me, and all the fun we've had together. I hope that his spirit will gallop, play and graze with his herd forever.

Gally - you will always be in my heart.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

That's beautiful. A special memory.
(sniff)

Linda said...

Thinking of you and Gally.