Friday, February 11, 2011

Shouldering the blame

Over the past 10 years I've had a problem with my shoulder. The muscles in my right shoulder get really tight, and the result is pins and needles in my the fingers of my right hand. At it's extreme, I also get excruciating pain in my shoulder, my fingers and anywhere in between.

I've always thought that this problem belonged in the physiotherapy domain, and would have never thought of mentioning it to my GP. Over the years I have managed the problem with various stretches, chiropractic care and physiotherapy massages.

As I subjected myself to the care of Dr Gruba, it dawned upon me that my shoulder problem is the result of what I have and have not eaten. Furthermore, despite the chemotherapy, the problem started to actually go away. Until today. But allow me to explain.

Yesterday, my horsey friend and I went to our favourite pub to have a drink for Gally. Well, one glass of chardy for Gally. One glass of chardy for Bandit - Bandit was a wonderful horse we were lucky enough to own. Well, Chris owned him, but we're really good at sharing. I realise that over time that list (of horses) will just get longer. Anyway, back to the shoulder.

After those two drinks I was exhausted, my whole body felt like bits of lead, and I spent the rest of the day drinking water and resting. Even dinner was an easy affair as I just reheated something. I did absolutely nothing.

Well, this morning the shoulder was all stiff and my pins and needles were back with a vengence. I had trouble typing this morning! I put the entire blame on those two glasses of wine. I don't regret them, don't get me wrong. But now I've got my culprit. My years of drinking like a sailor are well and truly over. I think I'll be thinning my champagne with mineral water in future.

No comments: