Monday, January 17, 2011

Chemo 6

I rock up to Day Oncology as per usual and the nurse picks me up, weighs me - 66kg (gulp!) - and sits me in my chair. Dad gets me a magazine, because I've forgotten to bring a book.

Really, the chemo is uneventful. The nurse finds the vein in one go, and the drugs drip in, right on schedule. I don't even feel too bad. No desire to jump out of my skin and "popcorn".

I enjoy the lovely lunch provided by the hospital (that's in addition to my own sandwiches), and then Mum and Dad pick me up and take me back to their place. Here I am treated to another lunch, because of course I must be absolutely starving after sitting in a recliner for a few hours. Then comes the obligatory snooze. Well, I wake up at 5:30pm!

Mum and I chat for a bit, and then it's ... you guessed it ... dinner time. You never go hungry at mym Mum's.

When I get home I find a lovely surprise at my doorstep - some flowers and a frozen food soup from my horse riding buddy, Christine. I'ts a great way to celebrate the end of chemo.

Wait! The end of chemo? Yes. But not the end of treatment. Oh no. That would be far too easy. I seem to do everything that's endurance. I still need to have ongoing, 3-weekly treatment, via drip, at the hospital. Yep. You read that right. It's a drug called "herceptin" that targets my cancer directly.

The upside - very few side effects. So the hair should grow back, and I shouldn't feel too tired. The downside - well the need to have treatment until December 2011!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Yay for the chemo being over. I hope the final round of side-effects are over quickly.
So sorry to hear about the ongoing treatments, but pleased there should be no awful side-effects.