Monday, November 15, 2010

Chemo 3

There is a marked difference between me and the other cancer patients in the oncology ward. The other patients wear beautiful wigs, in a bid to make themselves look and feel normal. To blend in with the general public. To, perhaps, move a metre away from the fact that they are being treated for cancer. Not me.

I have dug out all my fancy ski hats, and I wear them in turn. Last time it was my red hat - a favourite pick up from St Anton, Austria. Today, I am wearing my blue and yellow striped, jester-style hat, with tassles that dangle below my waist. From Queenstown, New Zealand.

Whether out in the street, or in the oncology ward, I turn heads. People notice me. They check me out. In the oncology ward, everyone says "hello" as though we're old mates. The nurse introduces herself, "Hi, I am Violetta, I've noticed you before." I am glad.

I know why they notice me. Because the crazy hats scream "I've got cancer, and I am not scared!!!" I want some of that to rub off on them. I want them to get to the end of their day, and have a memory of that girl in a crazy hat, and I want that memory to bring a smile to their face.

My mum suggests that maybe we should go wig shopping. You know ... for the family Christmas celebration. I'm thinking of getting an even more crazy jester hat, with three curved pointed ends, a bell at each end.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

love the hats - good excuse to get them all out!

Hugs XOXO