Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Two arenas

My husband and I cannot agree on where the arena should go.  You see, our land is undulating.  Steep in some places.  And the main hub of activity, the house, the shed and the driveway is up on top of the ridge.

Initially we planned for the arena to go on top of the ridge too, next to the driveway.  Opposite the shed.

Then we lived at the farm for a while, and we realised that we live in a really windy place.  The wind really howls on top of the ridge.  In fact, just where the arena was supposed to go, there is a bit of a saddle, and the wind is just merciless through there.

On one cold, windy day I headed down into the amphetheatre paddock - so called because it has steep sides, that surround a flatish area at the bottom.  Up on the ridge it was winter.  Down in the amphetheatre it was summer - balmy warm with a mild breeze.

So it was decided, that maybe, the amphetheatre was a better place for the arena.  We had the area dug out and flattened.  Then it was left to rest and settle.  It cost us a small fortune.

 

Then, my daughter started riding, and I got thinking.  How could I possibly be riding down in the amphetheatre arena, while my daughter was fiddling with her ponies up near the shed?  Or, how could I possibly let her ride alone in the arena (down in the amphetheatre)?  Then of course, should I ever teach people at my place, how could I have them arrive, while I was teaching a lesson in the amphetheatre?  And even if I didn't teach anyone, but I had another child, how could I ever walk a pram and a horse down to the arena?

It became quite obvious to me that the arena needed to be on the ridge, next to the driveway, opposite the shed.  By this stage I had got over the wind.  It turned out that the "top" arena (as it started being called) was better for riding in the early mornings (as it got the sun earlier).


My husband, on the other hand, is still gazing at the small fortune we have spent on flattening the area in the amphetheatre, convinced that the "bottom" arena is the "right" spot.

So on the one hand, it appears that we cannot agree where to put the arena.  (Just like we cannot agree whether to cook with gas or electricity).  On the other hand, one could say that we have two arenas.  Unfenced and unfinished, but two arenas nevertheless.


No comments: