Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chipped tooth

I have chipped a tooth.  About a quarter of one of my molars has come off.  It's a big chunk.  As big as one of my daughter's milk teeth.

There is no doubt that chemo has been a major contributor to this occurrence.  I feel totally depressed.  Not "tears" kind of depressed.  Just depressed.  For a while I feel like I'm in a bubble, removed from the outside world.  The sounds have gone dull, and life is moving in slow motion.

I tell my daughter about the chipped tooth.  She looks in my mouth and exclaims "oh mama!"  I don't even have to point her to the tooth in question.  It's that big.

"Mama, do you have the chipped bit?", she asks.

"Yes."  I show her the chip, and she examines it with great interest and care.

"Well mama, you can put the chip next to your bed, and the tooth fairy will come and take it, and give you a dollar for it."

I give her a doubtful look.

"The dentist bill to get this fixed is going to be much more than a dollar", I whinge.

"Mama, but that's always a dollar more", says Sabina with enthusiasm.  "A dollar, is always a dollar."

3 comments:

Samuel said...

You have to admire her innocence. It's tough to have to go through recovery and the dentist, but it can be done. For the lack of a better term, grit your teeth and take things one step at a time.

Try to cheer up! There's bound to be sunlight after all that downpour, so don't give up.
-Samuel Hershey-

Unknown said...

"A dollar, is always a dollar."---Indeed, but spending your cash for a dental treatment is a wise action. Our teeth are very important to us, so if you see that there is something wrong with your teeth, don’t hesitate to go to a dentist. The money you’ll be spending is nothing compared to that of having great and wonderful teeth! :)

Landen Worley

Unknown said...

Aw. That was very sweet of your daughter. I think she meant well when she gave you the advice. But if the tooth fairy is quite busy, a dentist will surely be there to fix the problem. Chipped tooth can be caused by several things. Aside from eating hard food, it can also mean that you hit the tooth at the wrong angle. I think that your problem is all fixed by now. Just continue to take care of your teeth, and have a balanced and healthy diet. [Jerri Franceschi]