Thursday, October 15, 2009

All that rain

It rained during the week. Lots. The gauge is showing 63.5mm. That is a serious drop of rain for one week, even in our neck of the woods.

I arrive at the farm in the evening, unpack the car, and wonder whether to check on the horses. Oh heck, by the time I decide I would have checked and been back again.

I venture outside, let my house shoe slip off and point my toe into the gumboot. Some magical force holds me back. I take my foot out again, and look inside. A girl in a red hat, with a torch on her head is staring back at me from within the boot. "Oh, what the?!" There is at least 10cm of water in it! "Oh, no way!", I break the silence and pour out the water. The insole slips out, saturated, looking somehow gnawed. I check the other gumboot, and pour out another 10cm, maybe more. Sheesh. They were under cover too!

I slip into my jodhpur boots, which have now done so much farm work, they don't provide much protection against the wet. I am about to tip toe off across the temporary swamp that is our back yard, when the magical force makes me look at my horse riding boots. No, couldn't be. I mean, they are further undercover than my gumboots. Not right against the wall like Pete and Sabina's gumboots, but further.

I glance inside and see that girl again. An expletive flies. Not my horse riding boots too! The lining in these will take days to dry out and I have a horse riding lesson on Saturday!

No comments: