Sunday, August 16, 2009

Credit Kid

"Mama, what do you need?", Sabina jumps onto the bar stool at the kitchen bench, bear in one hand, bag in the other. I gaze carefully, wondering what sort of game we're playing now. "Can you get me some milk, ham and cheese?", I ask. "No", she responds. "I don't have those, but I can sell you this purple ball for a dollar." She produces a purple ball from the bag.

"A dollar you say?", I quizz, "ok. Looks like an alright deal. But listen, can I put that on credit?" "Yes you can," she responds. I commence writing out an old fashioned, "IOU" credit note. "Mama, give me your card," says Sabina. I stare. "Mama, you need to give me your card," insists the little girl. I pick up the closest business card lying around and hand it to her. "I need to snap it", she says impatiently. "Mama, give me that box so I can snap it." Bewildered, I pass the said ice cream box, which has a little groove at the edges.

Sabina grabs the box, swipes the card through the little groove, punches something into the box, then looks at me. "Mama, but where's the little piece of paper that comes out the top?" I hand her the IOU note. She pretends that it comes out of the box, and the transaction is complete. "Here Mama, here is your card back, here is your ball", she leaves the items on the kitchen bench and packs up ready to depart.

"Sabina", I say, "you 'swipe' the card. Not 'snap'. Swipe."

No comments: