Saturday, August 1, 2009

Compost Analysis

I set the microscope up on the kitchen table. Sabina dances around it impatiently.

I open the little jar with a compost sample and put it under the tap. "You're supposed to use distilled water, otherwise you might be introducing organisms", I muse. I look around. We don't have any distilled water. I turn the tap on, and start agitating the little jar.

Five minutes later, I pippette the murky solution onto the slide, Sabina breathing heavily over my shoulder. I slip the slide under the lense. "Mama can I have a look?" "No, not yet."

I turn the microscope on, and focus the lense. Even before I flick to maximum magnification, I see a nematode. A tiny little worm, moving left and right across the slide. I stand aside, and Sabina pokes her head over the lenses. She sees the nematode. Silence. Then she's off to play.

I observe the nematode for a while, trying to judge whether he is a good guy nematode. Then I go on with my analysis, or assay.

There is a fair bit of bacteria there, and a lot of amebea. But the amebea seem to be quite inactive. Very little fungi. But the fungi that I do find is amazing. There are probably only about 4 strands, but they are dark brown and really thick - about 5 micro metres. Wow. I have never seen fungi that good.

My conclusion is that the compost is "average". We need to add more fungal food to our compost. Obviously we have the capacity to produce some amazing fungi, but there is not enough food in there for the fungus to grow.

No comments: