Wednesday, January 7, 2009

But Why?

Sabina is currently going through a "why?" phase. She asks about everything. Why this, why that.

I remember once seing a child like that on the tram (years ago, I wasn't even married). His mum was nice, but she wasn't answering all the questions. I promised myself then, that when my child is that age, I will revel in it and answer the questions thoroughly.

Now in many ways, I have kept my promise, but sometimes Sabina just doesn't know when to stop asking. Are all kids like that?

Well, no. This morning on the train to work, a lovely lady with a young boy get on. They sit right behind me. "We're at the front of the train, aren't we?", says the boy. "Yes", answers his lady carer. "But we can't see the driver", comments the boy, "why can't we see the driver?" "Yes!" I scream inside. "The driver is at the very front of the train in a separate cabin," answers the lady. I wait. The boy happily looks out the window. The topic is closed.

"What?!!!", I scream inside, "no more questions?". "Oh c'mon!", I think, "there must be another 'why'. Surely?". But no, there isn't.

See, because if that was Sabina, there would be another why. "Why is the train driver in a separate cabin?" "So that he isn't disturbed by passengers." "Why?" "Why what?" "Why he is not distubbed by passgers?" "Because if he was disturbed by passengers he might crash the train" "But why?" "Because when people are distracted they make mistakes." "Why?" "Because that's how our brain works." "But why?"

No comments: