Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Virus!

So far, throughout my chemo and beyond I have been lucky and haven't picked up any viruses or infections. However, finally, the germs have caught up with me.

My daughter got really sick - running a temperature of 39 deg C - and I, being the dedicated mother that I am (really?), refused help from the grandmothers, and took care of her. And the virus got me too.

At first it wasn't too bad. As I felt unwell, I eased off on my responsibilities (didn't feed the horses), dosed myself up on virus drops, and went early to bed. The next day I still felt unwell. So we sat in my bed with my daughter and watched Black Beauty. It was like one of those emotional tissue ads - but all that sobbing made me feel better.

Then it just went downhill from there. By day three I was running a fever of 39 deg C (that's unheard of in my case!), and at one point almost fainted when I got out of bed. The scary part was that I was no longer able to keep up with drinking enough water - I can now see how people like me just end up in hospital on a drip. In fact, if someone had offered a drip, I would have gladly accepted.

After about 3 days in bed I finally resurfaced. But the virus left me weak, and set me back about 4 weeks in my chemo recovery. Symptoms, such as cracked skin in my nose (ouch!!), which I thought were history, were suddenly back with a vengence. The naturopath increased my dose of vitamin supplements - without these the situation would be even worse.

It's now one week since I have ventured out of bed, following my virus, and I am still struggling. I feel weak and fatigued. I need about two naps per day, the sore throat recurs, and I never know whether the virus is coming or going.

I know that it won't last forever, but it has surprised me how weak I still am, seven months after finishing chemotherapy.

No comments: