Monday, July 25, 2011

Pin cushion

It's treatment day. Yes, that's right. I still have these. Just the targetted drug, herceptin.

Well the nurse tries to find my vein, and she finds it, but the needle won't dislodge. She takes it out, puts a little round band aid on it, then she tries again. She finds another vein, all is looking good, but ... the needle won't dislodge again. Another band aid later, and she's still staring at my hand and arm, marvelling at the finely chiselled veins.

She shakes her head. "Well, two is my limit. I will have to get another nurse to have a go."

She comes back with a helper. The other nurse examines my veins. There's a lot of patting and stroking involved. Finally she finds a vein she's happy with. She asks nurse 1 to hold my skin tight, and in she dives with the needle. I'm starting to feel a bit like a pin cushion, but we're good. She gets the vein, the needle dislodges and we're in business.

1 comment:

Lech said...

I had same experience. It seems 2 unsuccessful tries is a limit for a nurse. More than that and she/he could suffer depression. Patients are much more resistant.