Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nails

It's now over 2 months since my last chemo, and some of the side effects are still with me.

Every time you have chemo, it leaves a mark on your nails.  So my nails are striped and indented (and in a couple of cases bruised), each stripe showing the depletion of vitamins and minerals.  Some people lose a nail or two during chemo.

I haven't lost a nail, and the stripes are now progressively growing out.  The nails are weak and brittle and need attention.  They need attention every hour!  Sound rediculous?  It is!  I can't touch fine fabrics because these endlessly braking nails are just so full of sharp edges that I would quickly ruin any fine fabric.  I'm in danger of ruining my more sturdy fabrics - that's how bad the problem is.

Now, you would think that if a nail broke off at 8am, and then again at 9am, that by 10am there really wouldn't be any more nail to break off.  Oh, but there is!  Heaps to break off.  Apparently.  And even if there is no more to break off, the nails still break off and splinter and split.  And sometimes I have to put a band aid on because the nail has broken off too much and the finger underneath is bleeding.

They are not pretty to look at, either.

No comments: