Sunday, November 22, 2009

I am 5!

It's Sabina's birthday today and she is very excited. (She's actually been excited for the last two weeks, but today there is extra zing). She's bouncing off the walls rearranging her helium balloons time and time again. I'm worried she will run out of steam before the guests come.

The guests arrive, and Sabina finds something extra. She eyes off the first guest with some disappointment, but otherwise she proves to be the perfect hostess. She gets a party hat for each guest as they arrive, and invites them to play. Later on, when we play party games, she really gets into the spirit of the game. A pretty far stretch for an ultra competitive youngster. And she is rewarded with a win in the musical chairs.

The only time she looks somewhat unsure, is when cake arrives. I stare at my little girl across the cake and the candles as we all sing Happy Birthday. She seems sad. I smile at her, and a huge smile slowly spreads across her face. Once the singing and cake eating is done, she runs around merrily calling out "I'm five! I'm FIVE!"

No comments: