Saturday, July 25, 2009

Microscope course

As a follow-up to the Soil Microbiology course, my husband sends me off on a microscope course, while he takes Sabina to the football.

The course is run by the same group that ran the Soils course, and is aimed to teach you to use the microscope and recognise all the different microorganisms in your soil - good, bad or ugly. And some of them are ugly.

I get my own microscope for the day, learn how to set it up, then I get a slide of compost tea, and off I go. The amount of life on that slide is amazing, and after some instruction, I get quite good at identifying the various little creatures.

At the end of the day I feel confident that, should I brew my own compost tea, I would be able to classify it as excellent, average or throw away.

No comments: